New Chess Club

Aubrey Givens, Journalist

This year has brought many changes to student life at Southeast of Saline, and one of those new things is the newly formed chess club.  Problems solving is a skill many of us have had to learn to develop ever since the start of the pandemic, and being a member of the chess club is yet another way to improve upon this skill. Being able to think on your feet and make quick decisions will benefit you in the workplace, as well as in everyday life. 

After coming up with the idea for this new club, Matthew Redden (sophomore) got with the band director Mr. Keasling to see what they could do.The chess club meets through google meets during seminar. After getting permission from Mrs. Wright, the club officially started. Each player goes up against two people a week, and then reports back the outcomes of the match. So far there are 13 members joined in the classroom, however only 6 members attend the meetings. Founder and President of the club, Matthew Redden said that this makes having the club a little difficult. Redden is also in charge of designating who plays who. 

“Tournaments are not an option this year as we don’t have enough experience as a team and they require knowledge of algebraic notation. Probably an idea for next year,” said Redden. 

Instead of tournaments, the chess club plays through Chess.com and are rated based on their skill. So far the team has focused on playing classical games, and may choose to do some alternative game styles later on. The club’s goal is to teach students how to effectively play chess and to improve upon their skills. Having fun is also a bonus goal. 

If you are interested in joining the club, you can contact Matthew Redden, Mr. Keasling or another member of the club. You can also join the google classroom link. 

Looking for a fun way to boost your problem solving skills, as well as your ability to learn? Want the thrill of victory in a battle of wits? Well you are in luck, because the SES chess club is just right for you.