Insight on new schedules changes

Ali Richardson, Reporter

This year, there was a huge schedule change from having classes every other week to now having them every other day. We also no longer have grey days. It is proven that it’s better for students to have classes every other day rather than every other week because taking a whole week off of classes and trying to remember what they did the previous week is very difficult. Some students and teachers agree with this, and others don’t. 

Freshman, Deacon Baier, does not like having classes every other day this year. He thinks that getting all of the classes that he doesn’t like as much done in one week and then having all of his preferred classes the next week is better for him compared to having his good and bad days spread out in one week. Deacon also misses having grey days. He said, “I miss being able to have all my classes in one day.”

Sophomore, Kileigh Glesner, also liked having classes every other week better. She said, “I like having them every other week because then I can get them all done and I don’t have to empty out my backpack every day.” Kileigh is glad that grey days are gone though because she thought that having all of her classes in one day was stressful.

Senior, Karson Hall, prefers having classes every other day. He thinks that having classes every other day is overall less homework in a week. Karson does miss grey days, “I miss them because they felt like a day to relax because there was less stress in the shorter classes,” Karson said.

Freshman, Kiley Issacson, also likes having classes every other day better. “It makes the week feel like it goes by faster because we aren’t in the same class all week,” Kiley says. She doesn’t miss grey days though because she didn’t like not having seminar on Fridays.

Freshman Kaitlyn Watkins, doesn’t like having classes every other day this year. She prefers to have them every other week because she feels like focusing on certain classes one week and then other ones the next week was easier for her. Kaitlyn also misses grey days this year. “When we have all of our classes in one day it makes the day go by faster,” Kaitlyn said.

Mr. Keasling, the band instructor, believes that for students, it’s better to have classes every other day. “It helps with the repetition in band and it was challenging last year for them to play in band for a week and then take a whole week off,” Mr. Keasling says. He is pretty 50/50 on having grey days. He liked having all of his classes in one day but he is also excited to see how the schedule this year works out. 

Mr. Emme, the Woods teacher, thinks that it is much better for students to have classes every other day. He says, “Having classes every other day is better for repetition and waiting nine days and then trying to remember what was done last is very hard.” Mr. Emme misses grey days because as a lab oriented teacher he used those shorter class periods to not teach, and instead he would observe and help the students.

The results are mixed on weekly and daily classes, but overall, most people are excited to start this new school year even with the schedule changes.