Foreign Exchange Students

Kimber Ogorzolka, Writer/Reporter

Many people have heard of foreign exchange students, but many don’t know the process it takes to become a foreign exchange student. The CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) is an organization to help prepare you to humanize relations through international education that promotes intercultural understanding.

The CBYX (Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program) is a fully funded scholarship offering around 250 students to live with a host family and attend a high school in Germany for a school year. It is sponsored by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. 

There are certain requirements to become a foreign exchange student. To be a foreign exchange student in 2023, you must be a U.S. Citizen, you must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher, and you must be born between February 1, 2005, and August 1, 2008. Also, it is not a requirement for students who are planning on going to Germany to have prior German language experience because they will become fluent in German over the course of their time as a student.

The Scholarship to Germany includes many things that will be very beneficial for a person planning to become a foreign exchange student. First, it includes a free plane ride to and from Germany. Another thing it includes is a four-week camp where you will learn their language and culture. The student will have a host family in Germany, which is the family that they will live with, and the family that will provide them with meals and care. The student will also have health and accident insurance.

Some people wonder, why should I be a foreign exchange student. Well, there are many reasons. One reason is that you learn and will speak fluent English. You will get to experience another culture and community, and it will help prepare you for your future.

The classes that students will be able to take include German Language, English Language, and another foreign language (Spanish, Latin, Russian, French), history, biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, and geography. Students will also be able to take electives that include, gym, music, art, and many others. The program is around 10.5 months long and the student would leave in August of 2023, and return in June of 2024. 

Overall, the CBYX program is a great opportunity for students to learn a new language, and explore the world. Although this is a difficult process, in the end, it will be worth it.