ACT Scores: Important or Irrelevant?

ACT Scores: Important or Irrelevant?

Ali Richardson, Reporter

Over the years, ACT and SAT scores have decreased in significance for college applications. In fact, there are some colleges that have made submission of these test scores optional. So, if some colleges are not looking at scores, are these standardized tests scores still relevant?
Colleges look at multiple different aspects of students’ applications including standardized test scores, GPA, difficulty of high school classes, recommendation letters, personal essays, and extracurriculars. Even though there is a lot of stress put on getting an acceptable score on the ACT or SAT, colleges look at much more on applications than strictly those scores.
When colleges look at which students to accept, they look mostly into how they will thrive in their classes and into the overall atmosphere of the school. Colleges want to ensure that students will contribute to the school and fit in comfortably. This can primarily be found by looking at recommendation letters and personal essays. Both of these reveal who the student is as a person, their goals and aspirations, and how they are planning to apply their education after college. Although not much emphasis is put on recommendation letters and essays, these are a significant part of students’ applications.
Students’ GPAs and the academic rigor of their high school classes are other aspects that colleges take an in-depth look into. When colleges look at these two components of students’ applications, they want to make sure that the students made the decision to challenge themselves and take more difficult courses in high school, as well as maintaining a good grade in these harder classes. This guarantees that students are prepared to handle difficult classes in college.
Extracurriculars are another key component that colleges look for when reviewing applications. These activities show if the student chose to be involved during high school, and if they were able to balance more than just school. Colleges are especially interested in students who held leadership positions in their extracurricular activities because they like to see students who would be able to take on leadership responsibilities in college as well.
With so many other aspects that college admissions look at on students’ applications, what is the importance of taking the ACT or SAT? Based on what students scored on their ACT or SAT, the test scores can help prove students’ readiness for college. Even though these standardized test scores are not the ultimate deciding factor to be accepted into college, students who do choose to submit their test scores can be set apart from applicants who don’t.
Overall, ACT and SAT test scores are not the most crucial section of students’ applications that college admissions review. And although scores can be used as an advantage for students who performed well on them, they are not the main factor deciding whether or not students will be accepted into college.

Works Cited
ASVAB. “What Do Colleges Look for in High School Students | ASVAB CEP.” ASVAB Career Exploration Program, https://www.asvabprogram.com/media-center-article/54. Accessed 5 January 2023.
Seigel, Dora. “What Do Colleges Look For in Admissions? Why Are the SAT/ACT Important?” PrepScholar Blog, 8 June 2021, https://blog.prepscholar.com/what-do-colleges-look-for. Accessed 5 January 2023.
Wood, Sarah. “How Important Are SAT, ACT Scores in College Admissions?” USNews.com, 16 August 2022, https://www.usnews.com/education/articles/how-important-are-sat-act-scores-in-college-admissions. Accessed 5 January 2023.