Registering to vote 2020: how to guide

Registering to vote 2020: how to guide

Carter Smith, Copy Editor

With the 2020 elections right around the corner, it may be time for you to register. The early voting period starts Wednesday, October 14th.  The good news is that it’s easier than ever to register. Will you be 18 by election day? And are you a U.S. citizen? If so, you can register to vote. Every state has different rules for registering, but luckily, it’s pretty easy in Kansas. If you decline to register to vote, that fact will remain confidential. If you do vote, the office where you apply will be kept confidential and will be used for voter registration purposes only. 

If you search, “Kansas register to vote” on your computer the first link will walk you through how to register. You can also use the link listed at the bottom of this page. You’ll need a valid Kansas drivers license or non-driver’s identification card. If you do not have a state drivers license then you must use a paper application. Though if you want to keep it classic you can vote in person as well. A popular method this year, alongside online registration, is mailing your registration. You must complete an application which can be printed using the link provided at the bottom of the page. This application will need to be returned to your county election officer. Your county election officer will then mail you when your application has been processed. Ballots will be mailed to those who apply. If the form is incomplete, it may be rejected. 

If you decide to vote in person you will need photographic identification. If valid identification is not provided then the county election officer may issue you a provisional ballot. This ballot will not be considered until proper identification is received. 

This year is going to be the most diverse election year yet, with one-third of the eligible voters being non-white. On top of that, one-in-ten of the voters will be from Generation Z. This includes a few of our Southeast of Saline seniors. The following students had this to say about registering to vote for the upcoming election: 

“I decided to register to vote because it is one of the only things I can do when I turn 18 and it’s how I celebrated my birthday. I wanted to be able to voice my opinion in a way that matters,” Becca Kuhn said. 

I’ve been into politics for a while, but became much more involved over quarantine. I volunteer and phone book for a lot of senate candidates and one of the presidential ones, so I’m definitely looking forward to voting. Voting is very important, but I will say it is useless unless you are informed on both the issues and where the candidates side on them. Something that irritates me is ignorant voting, so I implore people to not only vote but to also invest some time in learning about the policies the candidates represent and how they will affect the country,” Drew Hanson said. 

I decided I wanted to register because I’ve always thought it was a privilege to be able to vote and I want to be able to use my voice. I also wanted to help make a change for the country, and voting is one of the best ways to do that,” Kennedy Gottschalk said. 

“The reason I decided to register to vote was because it is my duty as a citizen to vote,” Rayvanna Garcia said.

Whether or not you decide to vote it’s your choice. It’s important that you understand the policies your candidate represents. If they match your beliefs, then go ahead. Of course the choice is yours and do what you want with it. If you have any more questions about registering, Drew Hanson will be showing those applicable how to register.

https://www.sos.ks.gov/forms/elections/voterregistration.pdf -Mail Application

https://www.kdor.ks.gov/Apps/VoterReg/Default.aspx -Online Application